Talking Therapy

    This week I am going to be talking about Therapy. I don't have as much experience with the subject as I do with the others but I do have some. What is Therapy? Therapy is a way to get help with a mental health problem or get extra support if you are going through a tough time. If you go to therapy, you'll have meetings with a therapist to talk and learn. You'll learn skills to cope, feel better, and get help with the problem you're having. Beginning therapy may help you cope with life's challenges in healthier and more productive ways. Other benefits of therapy include: You will feel a relief of symptoms from your anxiety, worry, or depression. A counselor can help you in times of crisis while offering other services related to your issues. 


My therapy experience first started only a little over a year ago. My doctor recommended it a bunch of times before that but I didn't want to put the effort into finding one and going through therapy so I didn't at that time.  A bit over a year ago I decided that I needed someone to talk to about what I was going through and that I should start therapy. I found a therapist, recommended by my doctor. She was very nice and listened to what I was saying but I just felt like it wasn't helping. I felt like I was just talking the whole time about myself but she never really gave me any input on how I could get better or how she could help. Everything she said, I already knew, there was nothing that really benefited me other than just talking to someone. 


I stopped therapy because I thought I did not need it anymore, even though I probably did. My therapist also retired a few months later anyway. Skip a year later and I started therapy again, I found a different therapist recommended by my Psychiatrist, I have been to her a few times and she is nice but she doesn't really challenge me and that is something that I am looking for so I may go on the hunt for a different therapist soon. Like I said, I don't have the most experience with therapy but it takes time to find the right one.


It may take you a while to find the right therapist, it is like dating, you might have to go through a couple to find the right one. It is also important to be honest with your therapist! If you are interested in therapy, I recommend talking to your primary doctor and see if they have any recommendations. You could also ask family and friends if they know of any.

Comments

Popular Posts